Monday, September 16, 2013

Good-bye, Sis. Doris...

Sis. Doris Howell, a Godly woman of whom I have such cherished memories, finished her battle early Saturday morning, at the age of 80 years old. She was the daughter of Bro. Roy & Sis. Lucille McAllister and was the beloved wife of Bro. Robert Howell for sixty-three years. Bro. Robert and Sis. Doris has lived at the same residence on Terry Drake road for decades (exactly how long, I'm not sure - but one neighbor assured me that it was more than 40 years); and of my endearing memories of Sis. Doris, I would have to include her blue Christmas lights which were proudly on display for all the years of my childhood and up until her health no longer permitted her to drape her home and yard with the glowing strands of blue. She was a precious woman; and I know many from the Big Cove Community will mourn her loss, but none anymore than her faithful husband of more than six decades. Sis. Doris will be laid to rest today at the Green Valley Cemetery. And as one life leaves the beautiful community of Big Cove, another has taken up its abode there (or at least she will soon). My first cousin, Keith Cowan, is again a proud grandfather today as his son, Jeremy, welcomed his daughter, Autumn Rose, into the world this morning. Jeremy and Carrie plan to call their new 7+ pound bundle of joy "Rosie", in honor of Jeremy's late grandmother, my aunt Rosie Lucille Byrd Cowan. She would be SO proud!! Congratulations to the entire Cowan family for their new addition!

No comments:

Post a Comment