Saturday, September 21, 2013

Marking History...

Yesterday was a very exciting day for me! For many years, it has been my desire to mark the graves of my great-great-grandfather, John William Bird, whose grave has been absent of a headstone since his burial in 1902, and my great-great-great-grandparents, George Marshall & Martha Clark Bird, whose graves have been marked by a simple limestone rock for more than 100 years. This mission has finally been accomplished!
Yesterday morning, I met Bros. Keith and Zack Sutton (Klassics Memorials, Scottsboro) at Campground Cemetery in Big Cove, where G.M. & Martha Bird are buried. They carefully hoisted the original limestone rock into the air and moved it to the feet of the graves. It was a surreal moment, as all I could think of was that the rock had been placed their 100 years prior to this day, and has probably not moved since. It was very heavy - I'm assuming more than 500 pounds; and the conversation came up "reckon how they got this rock here back then?" I guess they probably pulled it on skids with mules; but I can imagine that it was definately a chore. As the Suttons began placing the new headstone on the graves, more of my family began arriving at the cemetery, including my grandfather's first cousin, Lonnie Byrd, and his wife, Jean. It was Lonnie's writings about the history of the Bird Family that first got me interested in ancestry, some twenty-plus years ago. It was very special to me for Lonnie and Jean to be present at this occasion. Next, my mother arrived with my breakfast in-tow! I was REALLY glad to see her - and the bacon egg and cheese bicuit and coffee that she broght me. Then my aunt and uncle, Peggy and William Knight, arrived to watch the tombstone take shape.
After the Suttons finished had finished the tombstone set-up and left, my dad arrived; and we were off to our next location - Mount Zion Cemetery in Monrovia. Here, we honored the final resting place of John William Bird (my g-g-grandfather) with a nice tombstone. It was the first time I have ever been to this cemetery.
Today, we were supposed to have an "unveiling" and dedication ceremony at Campground Cemetery for the G.M. Bird headstone; however, we we had to cancel because of the rain. We may still get together and do this at a later date; but as of now, I am just happy to have finally completed this journey by "marking" history, and preserving some of the heritage of the Bird Family.

-BYRD

 photo IMG_5880_zpsee440239.jpg
Lonnie & Shannon Byrd at the graves of G.M. & Martha Clark Bird.
 photo IMG_5886_zps063989ed.jpg Lonnie & Shannon Byrd at the grave John William Bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment